Demon Breeder revamp wips

A year and a half ago I made this painting of a made up character called the demon breeder. (Those are her pet demons :))

I like it well enough, but it’s not my best work.

So I thought I might have fun improving it. I saved a new version and started doing little touch ups. Within 10 minutes I got completely carried away and started repainting entire swaths of the painting, starting with the demon’s head (symmetry is a crutch of mine, and I’m trying to break free of it in new works).

Then on a whim, I slammed the contrast up and the brightness down and loved the difference – so the whole thing is darker now as you see on right.

demon_breeder_february_2014_wips

For all of my new paintings (this year and beyond!), I’m enforcing a simple rule on myself: it must have a foreground, middle ground, and background. I’m always in awe of the sheer amount of depth other artists pack into their paintings, and getting more practice with depth would improve my work. Hence the trees in the background and the leaves in the foreground. Simple, but much better than my old “character in a void” habit.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *